Why We Like It -- The show where best friends Sean "Day" Plott and
Tristan Brand talk about their favorite stories from books, television
shows, movies, video games, comics, and more! In the first episode, Sean
and Tristan discuss George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.
WARNING: EPISODE CONTAINS SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS FOR BOOK 1 / SEASON 1 OF THE SHOW! Hopefully we didn't spoil anything for stuff beyond that!
Click on the note to jump to that point in the episode!
- Tristan Introduction
- Sean Introduction
- Why We Like It Introduction
- Game of Thrones Introduction
- So Many Characters That We Can Keep Track Of
- Story Anchors (Plus Spoiler Warning)
- Visual Location Tags in TV Series
- Archetype Characters
- Sabin Interlude
- Resonance: Zombies, Wolves, Catelyn, Tyrion
- Character Development: When Bad Things Happen to Characters We Hate
- Many Simple Plots
- Characters to Root Against: Joffrey and Unsympathetic Villains
- TV Casting
- Tristan's Favorite Character: Verys as Compared to Littlefinger
- The "All Hope Is Lost Moment": The Death of Ned Stark
- Ned Stark as Classic Hero Versus the Complexity of Cast
- Ned Stark as Functional Death Versus Gimmick Death
- Death as Storytelling Risk and Why It Worked
- Future Episode: Akira?
- Final Thoughts