In this Newbie Tuesday, Day focuses on 2v2 play. He explains that 2v2
strategy and decision-making is different from 1v1 strategy and
decision-making. He explores basic principles of 2v2: how to attack and
join armies together, how to defend, and why there is no cheese in
Q&A With Day
-You said we should counterattack when your partner has died. If you have barely enough Units to counter is it a good idea to counter even if you would die from lack of defense?
-I play Protoss, but like to play other races sometimes, as well. Is it good to do this, or should I just stick with Protoss and practice?
-We see how joining up forces helps immensely. What are your thoughts about having both players set their rally points at a common defensive point between bases?
-Out of curiosity, what's your favorite 2v2 race combo and why?
-What are some good hints to help you know when to counterattack? Could you counterattack while your teammate is being killed?
-You seem to have a dislike of the word cheese...
-How do you feel about one player rushing, while the other techs?
- Game 1: Phoetic(P) v daveofdefeat(Z) v magaManX(Z) & echoSpecter
- The difference between a strong-stable strategy and a "cheese" play/rush
- Game 2: Mange(P) & BMX(T) v Enyvar(T) & Neuromancer(T)
- What happens when you don't join your armies together
- Early pressure strategies are good- because the opponents won't be joined up yet
- Sacking huge amounts of economy to help join your partners army together
- Game 3: Histrion(T) & YodaJM(T) v Jabba(P) & Zvizdec(P)
- This is not a "cheese" push
- Game 4: xXtemplerXx(T) & NoRule(P) v Ruckustata(P) & Sydros(Z)
- "Together" army is sacrificing economy; Teching players are split apart
- Being aggressive with a stalker/zergling combination
- Ally dying slowly as soon as possible going into a 1v2 situation
- In a 1v2 situation being focused and more aggressive early on
- Game 5: Shadow(T) & AEgis(P) v buubble(P) & doppler(Z)
- No thinking in "1v1" mode in "2v2"
- You want to be joined together, or split teching and dying slowly
- Game 6: HighTreeson(Z) & Michael(P) v Dieman(Z) & Sigobachewy(Z)
- How counterattacking is great against an early push
- Game 7: Gecko(Z) & Dario(Z) v Shnur(T) & Trendail(Z)
- Dealing with an aggressive double 6-pool
- Having the confidence to move out after early pressure
- 2v2 Unit compositions
- Walling-in to help in "dying slowly"