I'm looking for a little help regarding a new computer I'm looking to buy for gaming and you guys are the first people I have asked for a little guidance from. For the last few years I've been playing SC2 on an Imac (I'm sorry, it is a work machine) and mostly play games on a console but I have all but stopped playing on my PS3 and I prefer playing games through Steam now. But the options for a Mac are few and far between which I understand, I am on the verge of selling my Mac as I no longer need it for work and buying a high spec PC.
Unfortunately I haven't purchased a PC for around 7 years and have not really got a clue as to what I want for high end gaming. I know SC2 is not the most demanding of games but I would be looking to switch to using the PC as my main gaming source. I have been looking into machines from a company a friend suggested that builds them to your spec and it seems good, but I don't really know much on the processors, graphics card other pieces other than from a quick online search.
The machine they have as like a best choice machine has the following spec, and I know what everything is but are things like the overclocked processor, is this of use as they have an unclocked version at 3.6GHz for £20 less. I'm guessing the overclock is going to be better but will it have downsides? Anyway the spec is:
- Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
- Intel Core i7 2600K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.6GHz
- Akasa Nero 3 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
- Generic thermal paste
- Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
- 16GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks)
- Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2048MB Graphics Card
- 120GB Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive
- 2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
- LG Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive (Blu-ray playback software supplied for Windows 7 only)
- Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU
- Onboard High Definition Audio
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Are there any major upcoming changes to hardware that I'm better off waiting for? Are there different things I should look for altogether?
Sorry this is a long post but don't want to go spend money on something that costs this much to regret it. I'm guessing for the cost it is going to run most things at a pretty high spec but I want something that will last a good while before I have to upgrade bits and pieces.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice